May 8, 2011

#7 BBC Learning English- Ask a question system

While using online language learning system to improve self learning, it is better than nothing that you ask questions and then someone will give you answers.  I have learned that BBC Learning Engilsh provides a service that you can raise your question which relates to Engilsh learning problems, and you will receive an answer during couple days.  Therefore, I have a try days ago and I did receive an answer!  Below is my question:

A pit in my stomach?

Messages: 1 - 2 of 2
  • Message 1. 

    Posted by Kris (U14861270) on Friday, 6th May 2011
    I like to watch series movies which are called "Supernatural", and I am interesting in learning idioms from them. I have heard an idiom that goes: " a/the pit in my stomach", but I don't know the exactly meaning of it, could any body help me to figure out it? Thanks a lot.

    Kris


Then is the answer:


Message 2

, in reply to message 1.
Posted by Robert (U2283314) ** on Friday, 6th May 2011
It's "in the pit OF my stomach". The 'pit' is the lower part or the bottom of your stomach.

This is a fixed phrase. It essentially means that you have a fear or a bad feeling about something. For example:

"Mary is very late and she is always on time. I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this."




As you can see, the answer is quite clear and it even corrects my mistake.  Robert (who gave me the answer) even made a sentence for me to let me understand well.  It is really cool and helpful; I think I will also put this useful tool into my file!

No comments:

Post a Comment